In the spring of 1928, Japanese Salvation Army officers led by Brigadier Yasowo Segawa pioneered work in Taiwan. They established corps in Taipei, Taichung, Tainan and Kaohsiung but this was curtailed in 1944 with the outbreak of Second World War.
In May 1964 United States forces were sent to Taiwan to protect her. Among the servicemen who came was Airman, Leslie Lovestead, a 20 year old Salvationist. Leslie was presented with a Salvation Army flag at his farewell to take with him to Taiwan. On his arrival in Taichung, this dedicated young airman commenced Salvation Army activities, devoting a great deal of his time and personal money to establishing a mission. He was best-known for his musical ability. By December of the same year he had rented a chapel, and had a congregation of 250 children and an ever-growing number of adults.
Being aware of his impending return to the United States at the end of a year’s service, he wrote to IHQ appealing for help with the fledgling work in Taichung. General Frederick Coutts responded to his plea and Colonel and Mrs George Lancashire were sent to Taiwan, in October 1965 to lay solid foundations for the Army in Taiwan.
19 March 1966 saw the official recommencement of the work in Taiwan and the opening of Taipei Central Corps. Other corps openings followed: Taichung (April 1967), Kuting (November 1967-merged with Mucha Corps, 1987), Hsien Tien Corps (September 1969–closed April 1974), Tainan Corps (March 1973), Keelung Corps (October 1973–closed September 1978), Neihu Corps (October 1978), Mucha Corps (1987–merged with Central corps January 2002), Puli Corps (April 2001), Yuchih Outpost (April 2014).
In 1974, the Region became a Division of the Hong Kong and Taiwan Command. However, Taiwan became a separate Region again in January 1997, due to political reasons.
Over the years the Army has operated a training and development center for physically and mentally challenged children, nurseries and a kindergarten. These were closed due to government regulations. Services to the community have continued through local congregations.
The Regional Headquarters at Dun Hua South Road was purchased and officially opened on 17 November 1986.
Following the disastrous 921 earthquake (September 1999) in Puli, Nantou County, The Salvation Army was quick to provide immediate disaster relief to the affected people.
Thus the Puli Outreach Center (August 2000) was established to provide ongoing support to the people struggling to reestablish their lives. This work expanded rapidly and the Puli Corps commenced. Services to the community, including training for unemployed people developed. The Puli Youth Services Centre (January 2002) commenced to provide care for over 100 boys sent to us from the Juvenile Courts. The Puli Community Development Centre (October 2004) was officially opened to provide education and community programs for young people.
Our other Social work include the commencement of the Taipei Homeless Caring Centre (July 2003) providing support and care to over 80 homeless clients daily.
The Yuchi Outpost and Community Services (April 2014) was commenced to serve the needs for 13 nearby communities. Since January 2017, independent Sunday meetings have been conducted.
The Changhua Children’s Home (January 2016) came under the management of the Army again providing care for 16 disadvantaged children referred to us from the courts.
The Salvation Army is constantly exploring new relevant initiatives to serve the people of Taiwan, endeavoring to meet their physical, social and spiritual needs. With “heart to God and hand to man”, The Salvation Army is committed to being a vital expression of Christian witness and service in Taiwan.
3F, 273 Dun Hua s. Rd Sec. 2,
Da-An District, Taipei 106, Taiwan
Tel：02-27381171 / Fax：02-27385422